Welcome!

I hope you enjoy reading this blog. I will never claim to be an expert on cheese making, goat milking or farming (everyday I learn something new). However, I have learned so much from others who have generously shared their experience in books and on the web and hope to use this blog to pass it on to folks considering goats. I am completely enchanted by these creatures and how they have enriched our life. The amount I have learned since we got our first two goats has been exponential. Now our herd of 21 Nigerian Dwarf Goats is a big part of our daily life and I can't imagine it any other way. This blog will chart the seasons of milking and cheese making as a record for myself and a resource to others who are looking for a window into what it is like to own these adorable mini dairy goats.
For more information about our farm, please look us up on: Our Farm Website
Or LIKE us on FACEBOOK and check often for creamery updates: http://www.facebook.com/sunflowerfarmcreamery

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 1 Milking


Dill is now a week old, Luna (born on a full moon) and her brother Zeus are just 3 days old. I haven't had the heart to separate them from their mothers yet at night, and since Fias Farm (which has been elevated to God like proportions in my mind as the answer to all things goat) waits two full weeks to begin milking I figured I am OK. This morning after months of eager anticipation, I decided to give it a whirl and begin getting the ladies used to the drill. I woke up early, reread the milking instructions and went to the barn with all sorts of purpose and determination. I returned to the house about an hour later with a 1/3 cup of milk. I imagine one day (hopefully not too many days from now) I will look back on this morning and laugh. I imagine on that day I will have chevre dripping deliciously in cheese cloth in the kitchen and loads of fresh milk waiting in the fridge. For now, Minnie the barn cat had a delicious morning treat and I am trying to focus on the modest wins of the day. Both goats jumped willingly onto the milk stand. They let me milk them from one side while there was food, and there were no injuries to goat or human. I now more fully understand the expression, there is no use crying over spilled milk. Tonight's mission...milk both sides, 1/2 cup total! My dreams a bit smaller in scale today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments, questions and ideas! The greatest part of small farming is how much we can all learn from each others experiences!