Welcome!

I hope you enjoy reading this blog. I will never claim to be an expert on cheese making, goat milking or farming (everyday I learn something new). However, I have learned so much from others who have generously shared their experience in books and on the web and hope to use this blog to pass it on to folks considering goats. I am completely enchanted by these creatures and how they have enriched our life. The amount I have learned since we got our first two goats has been exponential. Now our herd of 21 Nigerian Dwarf Goats is a big part of our daily life and I can't imagine it any other way. This blog will chart the seasons of milking and cheese making as a record for myself and a resource to others who are looking for a window into what it is like to own these adorable mini dairy goats.
For more information about our farm, please look us up on: Our Farm Website
Or LIKE us on FACEBOOK and check often for creamery updates: http://www.facebook.com/sunflowerfarmcreamery

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spring in Full Swing




Sonnet is our best producer.
5+ cups a milking.
Wooohooo! After months of dreaming spring is in full bloom. This weekend we made three types of cheeses (mild feta, pressed fresh cheese with dill, garlic and chive, and chevre of all kinds). I'm         milking our 7 goat mamas every morning between 5-6. The 20 new kids all have a big sleepover and enjoy some grain each night which gives the moms a break and their udders plenty of time (12 hours) to build up some nice fresh milk for us.

I can't help remember my first morning milking when I came it to proudly show our visiting friends the 1/2 cup I had milked from Chianti. Now I am developing muscles bringing in the one and half gallons each morning! More evidence that good things often take a little time and practice. Our goat winner is Sonnet who makes 5 or more cups a milking. I am also very impressed with the udder and teats on little miss Rosemary who is a first freshener. She may be our top goat next year when she has a bit more time to develop. They are all very polite, with the exception of Bonnie who kicks very occasionally so that just when you have let down your guard she tips the bucket. She's only gotten me twice, but I have to be on guard. Most of them are so lazy on the stand that I can lean on them and half nap half milk on sleepy mornings. I really love my girls and even when I've stayed up to late, all I have to do is make it to the barn and any early morning grouchiness disappears.

So many cute kids have visited,
some to buy goats, many others just to learn more
and get a snuggle.
We sold all the 13 kids we put on the website quickly to nice families, so in early July, they will all go off to new homes. Lucky for us, a few are going just down the road so we will be able to wave at them as we drive by to the grocery store or ice cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments, questions and ideas! The greatest part of small farming is how much we can all learn from each others experiences!