Welcome!

I hope you enjoy reading this blog. I will never claim to be an expert on cheese making, goat milking or farming (everyday I learn something new). However, I have learned so much from others who have generously shared their experience in books and on the web and hope to use this blog to pass it on to folks considering goats. I am completely enchanted by these creatures and how they have enriched our life. The amount I have learned since we got our first two goats has been exponential. Now our herd of 21 Nigerian Dwarf Goats is a big part of our daily life and I can't imagine it any other way. This blog will chart the seasons of milking and cheese making as a record for myself and a resource to others who are looking for a window into what it is like to own these adorable mini dairy goats.
For more information about our farm, please look us up on: Our Farm Website
Or LIKE us on FACEBOOK and check often for creamery updates: http://www.facebook.com/sunflowerfarmcreamery

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dreaming of Kidding Season-The Naming Game Begins

At least once a day now someone in the family says, "Oooooh I can't wait any more for goat babies." Half way through the 5 months we always get absurdly excited, and this year is no exception. The funny thing about goats is you can never be totally sure that goats are pregnant or how many kids they will have until they kid (unless you do an ultrasound). We are hoping we have 7 bred goat mamas which means we could have anywhere from 7-28 kids.
Most of them should now be 75 Days bred.  A great deal of growth will occur during the next stage, and by this point each kid weighs about 4 ounces and is 2 1/2 inches long. The kid's first hairs have sprouted around its eyes and mouth. It has little legs!
So no time like the present to start thinking of names! We are requesting the help of our blog followers around the world. Perhaps the word goat is adorable in your language, or you have a lovely great aunt with a wonderful old name. We are open to all suggestions.
Please leave comments on this post if you have any cute ideas or think any of the ones below are a must.
So far we have the following list:

Tumnus
Persephonie
Basil
Feta
May
Penelope
Mabel
Max
Bailey
Guinness
Stella
Sylvia
Ruby
Arthur
Vera
Marjorie
Buttercup
Radish
Alfredo
Cheddar
Clover
Pepper
Matilda
Milo
Otis
Sylvester
Fern
Rocky
Pearl 
Chai

6 comments:

  1. Marion
    Isabel
    Simone
    Silas

    If I can think of more I will post them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ones Beckie! My 95 year old great aunt is named Marian!

      Delete
  2. Here are a few more
    Emma
    Ella
    Eileen
    Ava
    Monte
    Teddy
    Alvin
    Barney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information. names ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! unique business names

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. short business names

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments, questions and ideas! The greatest part of small farming is how much we can all learn from each others experiences!