Welcome!

I hope you enjoy reading this blog. I will never claim to be an expert on cheese making, goat milking or farming (everyday I learn something new). However, I have learned so much from others who have generously shared their experience in books and on the web and hope to use this blog to pass it on to folks considering goats. I am completely enchanted by these creatures and how they have enriched our life. The amount I have learned since we got our first two goats has been exponential. Now our herd of 21 Nigerian Dwarf Goats is a big part of our daily life and I can't imagine it any other way. This blog will chart the seasons of milking and cheese making as a record for myself and a resource to others who are looking for a window into what it is like to own these adorable mini dairy goats.
For more information about our farm, please look us up on: Our Farm Website
Or LIKE us on FACEBOOK and check often for creamery updates: http://www.facebook.com/sunflowerfarmcreamery

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Marinated Feta & Mediterranean Dreams


The other night, we were standing around the barn enjoying a beer and some storytelling. The goats were all in their stalls for the night, softly chewing on hay. It was one of those perfect summer moments that you know you will look back on when the snow is piled up outside. We were chatting with the father of one of our daughter's friends who is married to a woman from Greece. It was in the darkness of a summer barn that he shared with us a tradition from her village. Each year in the weeks that garlic scapes appear, the goats are let out to graze on these tasty aromatic flowers. (This helps the farmers because the scapes have to be cut anyway to allow the energy to go into the garlic bulb.) The resulting cheese is a treat that people far and wide wait all year for and come great distances to enjoy. My mouth watered just listening to him. And now it is clear I will have to plant a garlic garden for this sole purpose, but before then, it is time to make Feta! The cheese I would most like to make is a marinated cheese that is a mix between feta and chevre. So this morning after milking I set to work fueled by visions of goats munching on fields of garlic along the Mediterranean Blue sea. Hopefully these visions will add to the success of my feta.

My recipe is an adaptation of Mary Jane Toth's from Goats Produce Too. See link above to get your copy.

Mild Marinated Feta
Ingredients:
2 Gallons Pasteurized Goat Milk
1/2 tsp DCI Supreme Vegetable Rennet (Double Strength) from dairy Connection
1/2 cup cool water
1/8 tsp Mesophilic Culture MA 19 from France (some recipes use 1/4 tsp) 
(I want to try other cultures this summer and compare: MT1, MM100 and Dairy Connection Feta A)
Salt

Pasteurize Milk
Add culture at 86 degrees
Let sit for 1 hour
Mix rennet with cool water and add to milk
Cover and let set until you see a clean break 45-60 minutes.
Cut curds (see picture)
Let rest for 10 minutes
Stir curds keeping them at 86 degrees (easiest in a sink of warm water, or I used my pasteurizing vat) for 15-30  minutes
Hang curds for 6 hours
Slice into slabs 1-1.5 inches thick
Sprinkle with salt and let sit at room temp for 24 hours (turn and salt 2-3 times)
Then slice into cubes and cover with Olive Oil, garlic, basil leaves, peppercorns and other herbs.
Let sit in fridge in airtight containers for at least a week.
YUM.


2 gallons of milk in pasteurizer 

culture

salt

vegetable rennet

clean break means curds are ready to cut

cutting curds to form small uniform cubes

cutting curds releases the whey

let curds rest before stirring

stir curds for 30 minutes

while stirring try to keep temp at 86 degrees

ready to drain

cheesecloth ready over colander in pot


gently transfer curds to drain

before draining

after draining

slice feta 

Salt slabs and let sit. They should each have their own space, I layered them because I only had one container.

after 24ish hours


So now it's evening on the 2nd day

Most will add brine to feta in a jar and leave for a week (or a few) in the fridge.
I decided to jump to the marinated stage.

cut cheese into cubes and taste

before adding oil

add the things you love to olive oil

admire your creation while it sits for a week or more in the fridge to tasty up even more.
An added note: I was so excited to try this cheese that only one container made it to the 2 week mark! It was a thousand times better than the ones we ate right away both in texture and taste. I knew this would be true, but next time I will have the patience to wait!Because I was a little too rough on the curds the cheese was hard. Next time I will stir less.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I could never imagine making my own cheese, but it seems like an incredible adventure. Do you sell your cheese or just make it for a personal pleasures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so much fun, like magic. Some day (maybe next summer?) we will sell it. For now we are enjoying it and making friends and family taste a lot of cheese!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments, questions and ideas! The greatest part of small farming is how much we can all learn from each others experiences!